Monday, October 15, 2012

The Last Hurrah


Pears, beets, carrots, pumpkins & my favorite thing to dig & harvest.......potatoes!
This time of year finds me out collecting all the goodies I can find before a hard frost.
My collection will come to be warm & delicious on a cold winter day, which is just a few days away, Yikes!

 
Digging Potatoes on a Fall Day



 
Oil Painting by
Vincent Van Gogh  1890
"Peasants digging up Potatoes"


Peasants, you don't hear this word today.
It is an old French word meaning: one from the countryside.
That's me!
a peasant :)

eating and enjoying
home-grown goodies

P.S. Raising my glass:  Death to the imperialist fast-food company obesity promoting plastic-cheese-eating capitalist American pigs!    (quote by Anthony Bourdain)



2 comments:

  1. The soil looks like it has a lot of clay in it. Is the color deceiving? Uusually takes fairly sandy soil to make room for potatoes to grow. Looks like you are getting a good yield. I love new potatoes (red) soft and tender. It is like a treasure hunt, finding the surprise bounty. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how observant you are, yes, the soil here is clay
    I am trying my best too add bunches of mulch to improve the soil
    remember the black gold soil in Illinois?
    love the hunting/digging for potatoes!

    ReplyDelete