Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Sweet Corn


The sweet corn planted this year was NK199.
The name sounds like an experimental variety, certainly not the delicious summer vegetable
that we all can't live without with names like: sugar baby, peaches and cream, Kandy Korn or Bodacious.
NK stands for the breeder, Northrup King, and why the name 199 stuck is unknown to me.
NK199 was choosen because I've grown many other hybrids that have not met my standard
for vigor.
NK199 has been around since the 1950's. It's an old time standard corn that was developed for
Green Giant for processing into canned corn.
It grows very tall to over 8 foot, which makes it easier to pick since the ears are higher up on the stalk.
It did good this year during the June drought. It will also out yield other hybrids.
It is bright yellow with lots of big kernels on a large cob. All NK199 needs is butter and salt.






NK199 is as tall as the 9-10 foot sunflowers.




















Supper tonight
4 big just picked ears on a plate
Thats a summer delight :)
and all I ate.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! We're eating corn tonight but unfortunately it's not from our own garden. Hopefully we'll have some soon! That looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, last year the racoons ate more of the corn than we did, so I hope they won't be back this year, but I'll be ready for them with the dogs and If they out smart the dogs, well maybe I'll just plant a few extra rows for them. like my little poem?

      Delete