Sunday, January 15, 2012

Roses


a bourbon rose from 1872


When I started to plant and grow roses, I had no idea about roses, their history and the many different classes. I only knew what color I wanted and for it to bloom all summer long. I bought whatever looked pretty down at the local garden shop. By accident I got an "old rose" grown on its "own roots" for $1.00.
This rose was a damask from 1928 named Banshee. It was the best rose success I had and I attributed this to its old breeding. I was hooked on "old '' roses.
The more I read and learned about the progression of breeding from the wild roses to the current form of modern hybrid tea rose, the more I appreciated this beautiful flower and its history.

I write this to inspire you'll to not buy the 1st pretty rose in bloom you spot at the local nursery, but to research and find what rose would be the best choice for the qualities that suit the space the rose will grow.

Consider the climate, the eventual size of the rose bush, production of edible fruit or not, the size of the flower,  a single or a double flower, a classic rose shape or an old English look, repeat bloomer or a single flush of flowers in early summer, the color of the flower, the fragrance, climbing, shrub or ground cover or rambler, shade or sun, the name of the bush, or the age such as the first known cultiver to the first hybrid tea or the latest trend such as the knockout roses or David Austin English roses. I'm hoping the latest trend will be in the vintage or old roses, not the latest hybrids. So, enjoy learning about roses and don't forget to slow down and smell the rose.

John Cabot rose at Portland rose garden

No comments:

Post a Comment